I recently did an author presentation at a local elementary school. I love talking with kids about the joy of writing, and seek to inspire them to become writers themselves.
Our children are the next generation of novelists, poets, screen writers, script writers, and song writers! Our future literary adventures, cinematic escapades, weekly television viewing enjoyment, and song inspired moments are in their hands.
I am delighted to have even a small part in encouraging their creativity.
Here’s what I share with them:
If you have a passion for something, chances are you can write about it! Think of a passion of yours, and now consider all the avenues in which you can read and learn about that subject.
- Books and magazines
- Television shows
- The Internet!
Does it only take a passion for something to become a writer? No, there is another very important step on your journey to becoming a writer.
- You need to write something down! All it takes is a notebook and a pencil to get started!
- Imaginings left unwritten can be forgotten, never to be experienced again.
- Carry a notebook and pencil with you wherever you go, and have them by your bed. You never know when creativity will hit!
- It doesn’t have to be prefect, or even complete:
- Have you thought of a great character, but don’t yet know his/her story?
- Write it Down!
- Do you have song lyrics rolling around in your head?
- Write Them Down!
- Have you thought of a great concept for a t.v. show?
- Write it Down!
- These thoughts/ideas could be the next great novel, the next blockbuster movie, the next Grammy Winner!
- Anyone can be great, why not you!
So I encourage you, young and old alike, to start your writing journey!
Consider your passions, and pick up your pen!
The world needs writers!